TURNBULL MUST DROP ALL ITS UNFAIR OMNIBUS CUTS, FOR GOOD
March 23, 2017
The Turnbull Government must finally take its unfair cuts to families, pensioners, new mums, people with disability and young people out of the Parliament and out of the Budget for good. Labor will not support them.
The Turnbull Government’s bumbling incompetence has been exposed yet again with crossbench Senators joining Labor in opposing the Government’s unfair Omnibus Bill cuts.
For two years the Liberals have insisted that its child care changes must be linked to massive cuts to Family Tax Benefits.
Labor has always said this was a cynical political link between cuts to family payments and child care assistance.
Labor opposes the following changes proposed by the Turnbull Government:
- Cuts to Family Tax Benefits – cuts that will leave a typical family on $60,000 around $750 a year worse off.
- Cuts to Paid Parental Leave –70,000 new mums will be worse off.
- Scrapping the Energy Supplement – a $1 billion cut to pensioners, people with disability, carers and Newstart recipients.
- Five week wait for Newstart – forcing young people to live off nothing for five weeks before they can access income support.
- Cuts to young people between the ages of 22 and 24 by pushing them onto the lower Youth Allowance – a cut of around $48 a week or almost $2,500 a year.
- Scrapping the Pensioner Education Supplement and Education Entry Payment.
- Cutting the pension to migrant pensioners who spend more than six weeks overseas.
It’s time the Turnbull Government fixed their child care package and got on with delivering the assistance they have long promised parents.
Families have waited too long. There are no more excuses.
WEDNESDAY, 22 MARCH 2017