CORMANN REGRETS DITCHING UNFAIR CUTS
May 11, 2017
Mathias Cormann has given the strongest indication yet that the Turnbull Government can’t wait to reintroduce its unfair and savage zombie cuts to families and pensioners, as soon as they get the chance.
The Finance Minister’s comments last night about the Coalition axing its zombie measures show its latest emphasis on “fairness” is nothing more than a con:
… so regrettably we had to make these judgements but that certainly wasn’t our first preference.
(Matthias Cormann on The Bolt Report, 10 May 2017)
By Cormann’s own admission, the Turnbull Government regrets not being able to kick families and pensioners in the guts by keeping its harsh cuts, including :
- Cuts to Paid Parental Leave –70,000 new mums would be worse off.
- Five week wait for Newstart – forcing young people to live off nothing for five weeks before they can access income support.
- Cuts to young people between the ages of 22 and 24 by pushing them off Newstart onto the lower Youth Allowance – a cut of around $48 a week or almost $2,500 a year.
- Scrapping Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B end of year supplements.
- Scrapping the Pensioner Education Supplement and Education Entry Payment.
- Cutting the pension to migrant pensioners who spend more than six weeks overseas.
Make no mistake – when it gets the chance the Turnbull Government will try to bring these unfair cuts back.
Australians know they can’t trust Malcolm Turnbull and his Liberals.
THURSDAY, 11 MAY 2017