…SO DROP YOUR UNFAIR ZOMBIE CUTS, SCOMO
May 02, 2017
Following his speech today, Treasurer Scott Morrison was asked:
“…I think back to the Joe Hockey/Abbott Budget, one of the problems with that Budget and I think most economists agree and most of the public thought the measures overall represented an unfair set of measures… what sort of mechanisms do you have in place to ensure that Malcolm Turnbull’s cry that he will make sure policies are ‘fair’ are actually recognised in this Budget?”
Scott Morrison replied:
“Good governments listen and learn.”
If Scott Morrison has any credibility left he will drop all of the Government’s unfair zombie cuts on budget night, including:
- Cuts to Paid Parental Leave - to 70,000 new mums;
- Scrapping the Energy Supplement – a $1 billion cut to pensioners, people with disability, carers and Newstart recipients. Scrapping the Energy Supplement to new pensioners will be a cut of about $365 a year.
- Increasing the Pension Age to 70 – the oldest pension age in the developed world.
- Five week wait for Newstart – forcing young people to live off nothing for five weeks before they can access income support.
- Cuts to young people between the ages of 22 and 24 by pushing them onto the lower Youth Allowance – a cut of around $48 a week or almost $2,500 a year.
- Scrapping the Pensioner Education Supplement and Education Entry Payment.
- Cutting the pension to pensioners who spend more than six weeks overseas.
If Mr Morrison fails to drop these unfair zombie cuts the Australian people will know once and for all that the Turnbull Government has no idea when it comes to fairness.
THURSDAY, 27 APRIL 2017